This is one of those unplanned projects that ended up being super fun to make. I have been trying to get my craft room/studio space in order over this past week, which means digging through mounds of unorganized craft supplies. Thankfully, it’s more fun than it sounds.
It just so happens that going through all of my supplies is giving me tons of craft ideas! Somewhere between scraps of paper and fabric, I came across a few leftover pieces of rattan! I had the yarn already so the decision to make an impromptu wall hanging was made.
I’m fully inspired to make tons of Valentine’s Day decorations since the Ombre Heart Wreath project. So the plan was to weave a simple heart shape into the rattan while re-watching the last season of “Game Of Thrones” (awesome way to spend an evening, btw).
Weaving into rattan is easy and relaxing. You can create all types of designs using a range of material. I used a few types of yarn in different shapes and sizes, and some leftover roving I had from this Poly Mesh Sunflower Wreath. Let’s get to making!
Supplies for Woven Heart Rattan Wall Hanging:
7 colors of yarn in different textures and sizes
5in piece of roving
- String a 3 x 6in heart in the center of the rattan. Skip a hole every other round to make sure that all the sides get covered by yarn.
- Then get creative and weave a few shapes in the center of the heart using the different pieces of yarn.
- To weave in the roving, first twist a piece then use a pair of scissors to push the roving through the rattan holes.
- String a bead onto a piece of yarn then weave the yarn through the rattan; tie the string off on the back side.
- When you’re finished weaving, tie a piece of yarn to the top of the rattan.
Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest for more crafty inspiration!